Tuesday

Nostalgia's easier, as time goes by

"I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair… In '77 and '69 revolution was in the air"

So sings Sandi Thom so-called internet sensation and last week's UK number one single spot holder. This BBC online magazine piece asks whether we're looking back on the 60's and 70's with 'Che-tinted glasses' and, a few days after publishing, the comments on the piece seem to support this argument. We love to remember the Dylans and Led Zeppelins, the sit-ins and the counter culture but we often forget the race riots, the 3-day week and the 60's 70's attitudes to things like racism and sexism. There seems to be a tendency to yearn for the styles and cultures of past generations rather than looking forward and innovating for ourselves. We've perfected the art of pillaging the past for our inspiration but as a result we just end up with polished 20th century versions; 60's/70's/80's lite.

There is hope. Today's techno savvy generation is using sites like youtube and myspace to showcase their own brand of creativity. They may be apathetic towards political revolution but the spark of creativity is still there. Keep an eye out for it amongst the 21st century hippies and punks.

(The evolution of a mohawk)

5 Comments:

Blogger rachel said...

Welcome stranger.
I liked the idea of your post. I think it is cool we have the facilities to be creative, even if it is utter bullshit. That's my blog by the way and not anyone elses in the whole wide world.

I was very worried reading Evolution of a Mohawk. I was thinking that they may have been shapshots of your past. I was thinking, "God how is this going to turn out"? Fear not. Round about spring 1988 the penny dropped and the true gender of the Mohawkee became apparent.

Crisis over, although I did nearly have to ring mads for an intervention summit.
Thanks for your story on my post, pink g-string eh, you dark horse!!!!
Did you gain bonus cred points with the boys?

4:37 pm  
Blogger Damian said...

Notice that the things people seem most nostalgic about are the grand cultural gestures that initiated change.

I wonder if the nostalgia is actually them wanting another grand gesture to intitiate change. But what to change?

2:19 pm  
Blogger Pub said...

That's definitely the big question Damian, although for me it's more of a case of there's so much that should be changed, where do we start? Rather than searching for a cause.

Perhaps we should pick one each and try to think of how rather than what. That's where the creativity and the spark of revolution hides.

8:31 am  
Anonymous Lump said...

Hee hee, can't imagine why you've never told me that thong story?

10:53 am  
Blogger deetour said...

I have not heard of this singer. I'm sure in a year or so she will be "all the rage" here in the states. Or I should just check iTunes sometime today, eh?

3:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home