Thursday

No such thing as a free lunch?

One week into the new job and so far so good. I have a list of meetings as long as your arm (woohoo! more meetings) and a set of goals to achieve for the next 6 months that will hopefully drag the University into the 21st century, kicking and screaming.

I'm still getting email and phone calls for my last job though. Until my replacement starts on Monday I'm in a sort of limbo – doing quick fixes here and there and typing the same email about me not being the editor any more. Typically, my last couple of days in the (old) job and the perks start to kick in. I've been invited to more free dinners and events in the last couple of weeks than in the last couple of years put together. Tonight's dinner is courtesy of Strada, the new Italian restaurant in the Mailbox – "great Italian food and wine in a contemporary setting". I don't feel too bad about taking 'bungs' now that I'm not in a position to do anything about it. By the way, if any car dealerships out there are looking to offload some free wheels, the stinkwagen is sounding a bit ropey and might need to be retired soon.


Finally, and continuing on my jumping on bandwagon theme, the World Cup starts tomorrow. Men and women across the world are looking forward to a month of dazzling skills, endless punditry and half empty shopping centres on Saturday afternoons. For those of you who don't like football and would prefer something more refined, like say ballet, here's a man who's attempting to combine the two.


pic stolen from grannybuttons via flickr

3 Comments:

Blogger rachel said...

I'm back on the blogsphere, they decided to reconnect me, and two posts, am spoiled.
England fever is pissing me off already and I loved the ref, he has the matador stance going on and everything.
Glad you're getting dinner invites, make sure you are surly and critical, seems to get you more in this game, but you probably know that already.
Rachh

8:01 am  
Anonymous Serge said...

Is a Belgian cheese sandwich okay too? In that case... :-)

7:07 pm  
Blogger deetour said...

They still call you for help? You must be one cool fella for that to happen. Keep those bridges standing!

4:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home