Tuesday

It's not easy being green

It's frightening the amount of stuff you accumulate. I moved to Birmingham just under 5 years ago and I brought all my possessions with me in a single car load. Even then I remember thinking after the third or fourth trip up the stairs, laden with boxes, that I had way too much stuff.

I've been spoiled, living in a big (shared, rented) house with lots of space. My conclusion: if you have space, you will fill it. I now have a whole house worth of space and I'm battling against that rule. I don't want to fill my house with stuff that I'll probably not look at/wear/use from one day to the next.

I've unpacked the majority of the boxes from the move and apart from clothes which are waiting to be put into a wardrobe (when I get one), most of what's left comes under the category of 'stuff'.

I'm going to try to be ruthless (although I think sentimentality will mean there will be a few boxes of momentos which go in the loft). Three and a half years of bills and bank statements were consigned to the bonfire at the moving out party and I'm taking a leaf out of Andrea's book and getting organised. Hopefully the 'It's not easy being green' book that the Monkey got me will help to inspire me to make Castle Smith a bit greener.

As the crew at Howies say: Own less – travel light

6 Comments:

Blogger deetour said...

I couldn't agree more. So I won't. :)

12:59 pm  
Blogger Madeleine said...

I moved house last year after THE break-up. 13 years of stuff we had accumulated had to go.
It was incredibly cathartic.I'm gradually building up the crap again, as you do,but it felt good to get rid of things which no longer served a purpose.
Every now and then I promise to purge my house of unwanted clutter.
Sounds like you're doing well.
P.s. thanks for stopping by

1:26 pm  
Anonymous Serge said...

Hey Sam. Love reading about other people's resolutions, especially when they sound very much like my own :-). It can be hard throwing away things, can't it? I've had, for example, plans to clear up my CD collection for years (some CDs haven't been near a CD player for ages), but then comes the "you never know" voice... Thank god our house is relatively small so we have no choice but to have a big annual clean-up.

1:38 pm  
Anonymous Andrea Weckerle said...

Sam,

Howies' "Own Less" is brilliant. Over the past two years or so I've been radically purging, partly due to moves, and found it very liberating. The things I'd want to grab in a fire are the ones most worth keeping, and they aren't as many as I'd originally thought.

1:40 pm  
Blogger Mad Woman said...

Sam, you may be purging your house but when are you going to get round to purging mine, if you think you have got rid of stuff just look under the bed at home!!!
I would just love you to purge that.

3:18 pm  
Blogger rachel said...

Here's a plan from the Queen of hoarding stuff - each week put a dustbin bag in the hallway and fill it with crap you don't need. I did 2 bags this week from my larder alone and the whole house feels lighter.
Rachh

8:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home