Wednesday

Triple trouble

Time is short/money/of the essence. Pick your own cliché. I'm not sure if this comes under lazy blogging, efficiency or madness but I'm going to attempt to combine 3 posts, that I would normally have written separately, into this one post. Are you ready for some tenuous links?

I posted a while back about 'Creatives branding creatively' – Birmingham's creatives' newly formed industry-led forum to drive promotion of the City's creative industries. Monday night I sat in on a presentation/discussion group on what progress has been made and an attempt to form an action plan. As always these things are a slow process, as anything done by committee inevitably is, but the thing that most stuck in my mind was the worryingly traditional approach that was being pushed by many of the attendees. I sometimes forget that not everyone is as au fait with social media and other developments in marketing and PR but the level of understanding of how we could/should be using new technologies and practices to our advantage in campaigns like this was extremely low. That's not to say that the quality of the creative work coming out of the city is poor, in fact far from it, but if this project is going to succeed, I think there needs to be a steep learning curve in communications terms.

These events always make me hungry so Karl and I headed into Selly Oak for a quick curry. I hadn't been to the Sundarbon in years (since I moved out of Selly Oak) but it was always one of my favourite of Selly's many curry houses. While we were waiting for our main courses, the owner of the restaurant came over proudly brandishing a newspaper. It seems pop band Liberty X were so impressed with the curry they had from the Sundarbon recently that they've paid for the chef to be flown in by helicopter to their gig later this month so he can cook them up a curry after the gig – at a cost of £4,500. I'd definitely recommend the naan bread, best I've had in ages.

And speaking of chefs – see I told you it would be tenuous – Naked Chef and school dinner crusader, Jamie_Oliver, is about to open a branch of his Fifteen restaurant in Cornwall. The concept behind the Fifteen franchise is that each guarantees to train and support 20 disadvantaged young people each year to become professional chefs. Jamie Oliver takes a lot of stick in the media for various things but not many people can claim to be doing as much as he does for the country's kids. His recipe for sweet roasted red onion and garlic bread is pretty good too.


Tags: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Serge said...

brief comment though: mmmmmm curry... :-)

10:40 am  
Blogger Mad Woman said...

Well Pub at least I can say that I now know what a blog is and read yours daily which is a start!

As for the Sundarbon when are you taking me there?

Good for you backing Jamie Oliver, we may all love to kick him about and say his motives are all about himself and free publicity, but as you say at least he is trying to do something to improve the Nation's food, the eating habits of the young and then finding jobs for them. Perhaps more people should stop bitching about him and try to emulate him instead.

3:58 pm  
Blogger Currin Girl said...

Guy comes in, gives jobs to the disadvantaged, attempts to overhaul the country's school lunch program for the betterment of children, and people kick him around? Strange logic.

I concur with Serge - I'm still dreaming about Mahon curry house in Worthing. As a Yank, I thought I knew what proper curry was until then. Nothing in NYC compares.

6:01 pm  
Blogger Pub said...

Serge/Currin Girl - I live in Birmingham so I'm never short of a curry. I can't drive through Sparkbrook in the early evening without my mouth watering; that smell!

Mad Woman - we could go to the Sundarbon next weekend if you fancy it? Are you and Moley going to come up and watch the 7's?

8:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home