Monday

Blogolescent, Blogosphere, Blooker ...

I've just added another phrase to my geekspeak dictionary project: the Blooker Prize - literary prize for bloggers turned authors.

American blogger Julie Powell's blog detailing her attempt to cook the recipes in the 1961 cookbook by Julie Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking scooped the top prize of £2,000 ($3,452) after the published version of her blog sold more than 100,000 copies.


The contest was set up for bloggers who have turned their blogs into books. Judge, writer and net activist Cory Doctorow commented:

"Those who dismiss blogging as 'mere' confessional writing and complaining about one's day job fail to appreciate just how engrossing those genres can be when handled by a talented writer like Julie Powell"


Without dismissing the importance of strategic promotion such as links, tags and the like it just goes to show, there's no substitute for interesting, well-written content.


Tags: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Serge said...

2007: the publishing of publickthoughts on paper?
2008: Pub wins Blooker Prize?
2009: Sam publishes his first real novel?
2010: Sam wins Booker Prize?
2011: Sam retires as a multimillionaire and decides to focus on blogging again?
It's just a thought...

10:20 am  
Blogger Pub said...

I'm working on it - watch this space ...

Seriously though, if I can ever find time to get my novel beyond the gappy first draft I've penned who knows?

1:09 pm  
Anonymous Andrea Weckerle said...

Sam,

I'm right behind you.

Actually I'm sure we three amigos could come up with something interesting as well.

1:50 pm  
Blogger Pub said...

Andrea

I've been thinking about a collaboration for a while. I just needed someone to collaborate with. Would be nice to get something going and stimulate the creative juices. It's always easier when there's someone else to motivate you.

Any ideas? I've got a few seedlings I'm cultivating

2:17 pm  
Anonymous Andrea Weckerle said...

Sam,

E-mail me; I look forward to it.

2:59 pm  
Blogger That Girl said...

i think i'll stick with "confessional writing and complaining about one's day job". as unprofitable as it may be...

10:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home