Thursday

Modern day heroes (3)

What would you do if you were sent a cheque for a serious amount of money that you knew didn't belong to you but the company who sent it to you insisted was yours and that you cash the cheque?

When Carlos (G) Rojas received a cheque for $200,000 (£114,000) that was intended as a life insurance payout for Carlos (M) Rojas, following the death of his son in Iraq he didn't take the money and run, despite assurances from the insurance company who wrote the cheque that he should do exactly that.

Nine weeks of sleuthing later and Carlos M finally tracked down Carlos G who coincidentally worked in the same building, although for a different company. The pair arranged to meet and the younger Carlos G handed over the cheques to their rightful recipient:

Asked why he didn't take the money and run, Carlos G said: "Somebody's life was connected with that money. I couldn't just spend it and go on like nothing happened."

"It feels good, I think other people in the world would have done the same thing. And look, I just got a new friend. You can't put a price tag on that these days."


Honesty and friendship, qualities of a modern day hero


[full story on BBC online via the Miami Herald]

2 Comments:

Anonymous Andrea Weckerle said...

Absolutely beautiful. What's the original source of the story?

1:40 pm  
Blogger Pub said...

Thanks for keeping me on my toes Andrea. My journalistic skills deserted me for a bit there. The irony is that I was probably concentrating on the tutoring session I'm giving tonight on writing Shakespeare essays, the most important rule of which is refer to your source material constantly!

Link added to post (it was BBC online via the Miami Herald)

5:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home