Thursday

It's enough to drive you Crazy

There are a lot of worried faces in the 'old media' world at the moment. The decline in newspaper sales has been happening for a long time. Those journalists who are tied to publications that remain tied to the traditional media (particularly local/regional newspapers) are being forced to look for careers in press offices and PR departments where they can transfer their skills. National newspapers like the Guardian are trailblazing the shift towards new media and investing heavily in blogs/bloggers and podcasts. The 'old media' are faced with a stark choice; react and change or fade away.

The music industry is another faced with a similar situation. Music executives have long been bemoaning the MP3 (legally downloaded or otherwise) as the death knell for the industry as CD sales, like newspapers, have rapidly declined. Case in point, this week's UK no 1 is tipped to be Crazy by Gnarls Barkley, a track that became enormously popular after featuring in a promotion for Radio 1 DJ Zane Lowe's show, and is likely to become the first single to go to number one on the strength of downloads alone (although the predicted 35,000 downloads are well below singles sales needed for a number one less than a decade ago).

And it's not just a Generation C thing. Although statistically less likely to buy music on the internet, the success of classical downloads is being pointed to as an indication that there we may have underestimated the number of 'silver surfers' downloading music. Production of CD singles has already been significantly scaled down and record companies are starting to make decisions about what formats are suitable for certain artists. I'm already fed up with hearing the Gnarls Barkley track and it hasn't been released yet but it does provide an interesting example of how the market is driving the change in the traditional media.


You know where the bandwagon is. Jump on board for the chance to win an ipod.

15 Comments:

Blogger Serge said...

Okay: I've jumped. When do I get my ipod? Or could you make it a new Nokia pda annex mp3 player annex gps annex... ? ;-) Btw: Gnarls Barkley (you wouldn't believe how I've heard it pronounced over here) is on the up in our charts too. I have also been listening to a bit of Zane Lowe lately - it's on lmy musicube. More about that in a later post...

7:38 pm  
Blogger littlemissbearwood said...

I can't promise you drunken cheerleaders every night in Bearwood, but in the 12 months since I've been here, I have met the man who believes he's the second coming and the man who believes he's pregnant

10:33 pm  
Blogger littlemissbearwood said...

Hello
Just found your other comment on my blog! how weird that you're moving to Beearwood...and yes the Talbot is a little scary (see my preveious comment - i met them both there!) but seeing as the Talbot nis about 20 paces from my house it has become an extention to my living room!

Yes I do work for the Beeb....what do you do....?

Lil Miss x

10:39 pm  
Blogger littlemissbearwood said...

I'm a Broadcast Journo for the BBC Asian Network. Think I've spoken to a few peeps in press office at Birmingham Uni before...

So what brings you to Bearwood? Apparently there's an Austrian bar somewhere which I am yet to find...apart from that though, The Dog is quite nice...and Teknaf do gorgeous curries

12:43 pm  
Blogger littlemissbearwood said...

Bearwood's a funny ole place. strangely, a few of my friend's moved from the rather chic moseley to the ghetto that is Bearwood around the same time so there's a nice communtiy feel here and we all live walking distance from each other. What part of Bearwood are you? I am the Hagley Rd/Talbot end which is good as it's close to town. I have walked down Bearwood High Street in the middle of the night and it's not very pleasent!

We'll have to meet up for a drink when you move here..you'll be a Bearwoodian befoe you know it!

2:06 pm  
Blogger Pub said...

PDA annex MP3 player annex GPS? All your eggs in one basket comes to mind there Serge ;-)

I've been having a play with the musicube but trying to hack about with it so that it's a bit more fitting with the layout of my blog. I've seen a few similar applets but this one's quite good fun. Will let you know how I get on.

Until then, I shall be kicking back and listening to Wednesday's Raconteurs session from Zane's show via the BBC listen again feature. Definitely worth a listen

2:43 pm  
Blogger littlemissbearwood said...

You're actuallt really close to some of my friends then who live down that way! I noticed you used to live in Toddington - my housemate is from there..and a few of our Bearwood friends are from Bedforshire too...looks like you'll fit right in!

Drunken Cheerleaders tho....I have a feeling that was a once in a life time opportunity!

2:54 pm  
Blogger littlemissbearwood said...

oh and by the way..I will be tuning in to Zane to listen to the Raconteurs too...You have good taste in music! have a look at my myspace page if you get a chance.....!

2:55 pm  
Blogger littlemissbearwood said...

also..(one last post before i look like I am stalking you!) go to the asian network on bbc listen again...click on drive, go to monday and about 40 mins in and you can here one of my interviews with the band Nizlopi

2:58 pm  
Blogger That Girl said...

um. i think she's stalking you.

2:54 pm  
Blogger littlemissbearwood said...

Nizlopi were superb! Best band I've ever seen live - just cos they're so different! I've actually become quite good mates with them as interviewed them a few times..and they're definately doing that living room gig for me like they mentioned! It's going to be braodcasted on Asian Network.

My housemate is called Angelo...not a very common name so if you recognise it - surely it's the same guy! Our other friends who live in Bearwood are from Luton... Everyone was excited when I said another Bedforshire Boy was entering the vicinity!

11:23 am  
Blogger littlemissbearwood said...

Angelo Toscano is my housemate - and possibly my bestest friend in the world...he's really looked after me since we met! How weird is this?...and what's your name so I can tell him? I am getting slightly freaked out by all this now! x

12:56 am  
Blogger littlemissbearwood said...

all very very strange... I have just emailed him at work to tell him! Do you know any of his other friends then? Stuart Hutchison who's a good friend of mine went to school with angelo but i don't know if that was after he left your school.

8:43 am  
Blogger littlemissbearwood said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

British Columbia selling

7:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home