Wednesday

The first rule of Bash Bar is…

Stuffed full of fine French food, courtesy of Chez Jules' Tuesday night special, and in search of a taxi I came across Birmingham's newest 'underground' drinking den. Tucked away up a side street off the main street through town and advertised in an understated way, the list of house rules on posted on the door caught my eye (left).

As I was reading them, a couple of nouveau beatnik looking types spilled out of the door, an intriguing atmosphere leaking out behind them for the split second the door was open. I couldn't resist. Despite it being a 'school night' I decided I had time in the bank for a quick look and maybe a nightcap.

Inside, the 4 piece Jazz improvisation group playing at the back of the room added to the decadent atmosphere created by the flock wallpaper, the impressive bar and the unselfconsciously hip crowd inside.

Forget your trendy cocktail bars and your binge drinking palaces – this is what we need more of in the city.

4 Comments:

Blogger Serge said...

Looks like a neat place to go for a quiet night out. But then again: one can't have quiet nights out every night, can one? Still, if I read the articles about the binge drinking phenomenon, the lager lout culture and the scarcely-dressed 16-year-old girl gangs roaming the streets, I'd take the quiet option any time...

3:35 pm  
Blogger Pub said...

I can't decide whether it's media hype and scaremongering or a frightening picture of reality. I'd hate to portray Britain and the British as foul mouthed, lager swilling louts to a man/woman but there's a growing element of that in society here for sure. I think that's why when I find places like these I appreciate them so much (until they get found by the hordes).

Do you have similar problems in Belgium?

3:41 pm  
Blogger Serge said...

Not yet. At least not to such a big (?) extent. Although I have read some articles about similar problems in Antwerp with students. Here too, I cannot say if it's not just a media hype, copying the news of what's happening in Britain. When I was a student, there were also people drinking way too much (not me, of course ;-) ) and then making noise in the street. Nobody used the term binge drinking in those day, but was there such a big difference? I wonder...

5:44 pm  
Blogger That Girl said...

i love those rules. those rules should be at every bar.

1:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home