Monday

Bread head

You've heard of stealth taxes (well if you live in the UK you have anyway). Well now we have stealth fat.

The team at Howies are on a mission to 'take the fat out of bread' (apparently 3 slices of some mass produced breads contain as much fat as a well known chocolate bar). Their mascot in this mission is Doh Boy (and his 500 strong army – I want one!). Doh Boy has his own blog and even comes packaged in a baking tin with recipes to encourage us to start baking our own (bread, not Doh Boy).




Let's see if I can add baker to my list of skills

6 Comments:

Anonymous Serge said...

We already do bake our own. Bread, not Doh Boy... Great initiative by Howies, btw!

7:03 am  
Blogger Pub said...

I think I've been spoiled, always living near a good bakery. The one in my parents' village is amazing. Very traditional.

What's your recipe, Serge?

10:25 am  
Blogger deetour said...

You mean I can start eating bread again?

5:24 pm  
Anonymous Serge said...

Recipe? Nothing special: just 300 cc of water, a teaspoon of sugar and a teaspoon of salt, some butter, 500 grams of flour (variety depending on the taste of the day - usually something relatively dark or wholemeal-like), a teaspoon of yeast on top and then just put everything in the bread-making machine (no, we do not spend hours in the kitchen making bread - we are the "modern", well "lazy" type of baker). 3.5 hours later you have a lovely, firm, tasty and healthy bread (I hope).

8:35 pm  
Blogger Pub said...

@Serge - you cheater. Well played that man. What is the point of having opposable thumbs and sitting at the top of the food chain if you don't make life easy on yourself? I'm going to try the luddite method first (just to say I tried) then it's off to Tesco to see how much a breadmaker is

@Dee - I can't believe you stopped. How do you survive sans sandwich?

9:38 am  
Blogger deetour said...

Lots of booooring salads.

10:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home