Tuesday

The zen of Tetris

My wonderphone out of action for a day or two, I was recently forced to temporarily downgrade to an old mobile phone model that I'd got hanging around in the back of a drawer. After sulking about having to carry around a 'brick' that didn't have any of my reminders, diary entries or half my phone numbers in it and ruminating for a while on the folly of putting all my eggs into the one basket, I found the brick's redeeming feature – a generic version of that highly addictive classic, Tetris.

An hour and a half later I was hooked again, the old addiction kicking in, my focus solely on the falling blocks. Those of you fortunate or unfortunate (depends on your point of view and level of addiction) to have played Tetris for any length of time will have developed your own strategies and tactics for the game. As much as you plan and strategise, stray blocks are inevitable and it's the way in which you react to your new landscape that shapes the way the game will go. Panic and you're lost, re-evaluate and play on and you could just find that things take an unexpectedly fortunate turn. Whichever option you take, you can't undo a stray block so playing on is the only option.

There's a certain zen-like quality to this that appeals somehow. But I can't go into it right now, the blocks are calling.

Pic ripped off from baboon via flickr

4 Comments:

Anonymous Serge said...

Damn! You're right about this game being addictive. I never was really good at it (I only got to level 3), but I have to admit: it is hard to stop once you get started. I do not find it that zen-like, though... It's giving me the jitters! Where's my medication??? Oh, in case you're wondering: I used to be schizophrenic (my other me thinking he was Noel Gallagher, imagine that). But don't worry: we are okay now...

8:15 pm  
Blogger Pub said...

Aha! I had a sneaky suspicion that might have been your dark (Mancunian) side sneaking in there Mr Cornelus. Nice use of the northen form of the 'F' word by the way, you could almost pass for a local.

9:29 am  
Blogger may said...

yes that is my first post and i do plan to continue posting. for now i am just dipping my foot in the water to check the temperature. maybe someday i will jump in feet first and swim with the vigor of a little kid, half in the state of panic realizing that water and dry ground are quite different and half with utter delight and joy that only a child can experience. thanks for asking!

3:14 pm  
Blogger may said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home