Tuesday

They say that every day is a 'school day'

Well, if the BBC are to be believed and we 'learn something new every day' then nearly a third of last year's days were school days for the staff of BBC online who have put together an almanac of 100 things they didn't know until last year.

#20. The Queen has never been on a computer.
At first I wondered why I found this so surprising but then I wondered how someone in such a position of influence (I'm not sure that power is the right word) could not have experience of something that has become such an integral part of daily life for an increasing majority of her subjects.

#29. When faced with danger, the octopus can wrap six of its legs around its head to disguise itself as a fallen coconut shell and escape by walking backwards on the other two legs, scientists discovered.
I really would love to see this.

#32. "Restaurant" is the most mis-spelled word in search engines.
Adding another geek-speak term to my armoury: typosquating - and fuelling my belief that mastering the search (or at least a good knowledge of how we search on the web) has become one of the most important things in the marketeer's bag of tricks

36. The average employee spends 14 working days a year on personal e-mails, phone calls and
web browsing, outside official breaks, according to employment analysts Captor.
Shhh, I posted this from work, don't tell the boss. Goes some way to proving what I was going on about above (#20)

81. George Bernard Shaw named his shed after the UK capital so that when visitors called they could be told he was away in London.
All I need now is a shed…

#100. Musical instrument shops must pay an annual royalty to cover shoppers who perform a recognisable riff before they buy, thereby making a "public performance".

No Stairway? Denied!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home