Tuesday

Tie me up, tie me down

The humble neck tie: to wear or not to wear? I don't. Many (although increasingly fewer and fewer) do. To me, a badly thought out/worn out/cheap shirt and tie combination looks much less stylish than some less traditional/conventional attire and shows a lot less creativity and personal flair. Thankfully I don't have to survive in an environment where personality is displayed through a choice of tie or some 'comedy' cufflinks. That's not to say I don't own or ever wear ties. I have a few very nice ties and a lot of nice shirts, but I choose not to wear them every day to work like some form of uniform.

The tie will always be a staple of certain environments (City/Legal) and anathema to others (Creative) but what about those of use who inhabit the murky waters in between? Even the Civil Service is now relaxing its once iron grip on its workers attire
as reported by the BBC:

"The unmistakeable badge of buttoned-down respectability came unknotted as society's values shifted around it. It is survived by its estranged neighbour, Open Necked Shirt."


'Blue jeans' or 'trainers', however are still very much frowned upon.

Maybe this will herald a new era for the tie. Now that its wearing is not enforced by the establishment, perhaps it can shake off its uniform tag and make a comeback as an anti-establishment icon.

[EDIT - David Cameron's choice of neckwear (or not) noted by political commentator
Nick Robinson. Maybe the era of the tie as a communicator is not over]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home