Wednesday

The original Mad Woman



I arrived in the alps on Friday to fresh snowfalls and devastating news. My grandmother, who had been bravely fighting cancer for a while, was taken into hospital on Friday and the family was told that she wouldn't be coming out. I sat outside the restaurant on Friday night after my sister told me the news and cried. I cried for the fact that my Nan was being taken away from me but also for the fact that I wouldn't be able to say goodbye to such an amazing woman who had such an effect on my life and my character.

The family told me not to come home early and I agonised over the decision until it was made for me (I couldn't have even if I'd wanted to). I spent the weekend riding the mountain mostly alone trying not to spoil the trip for the others. When we flew back on Monday the motorway was closed because of the oil explosion but Nick kindly offered to drive me back home so that I could get over to the hospital and join my family. The doctors hadn't expected Nan to last the night but, strong to the last, she lasted until Monday night. I got to spend her last few hours with her, talking to her and holding her hand and for that I am so grateful.

Posts may be sporadic. I don't feel much like expressing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Serge said...

I am not really good at this. So sorry mate, I don't seem to find the right words this time. I guess most of us go through this at some point in our lives, but that is no comfort to you, is it? Just don't forget that the sharpest edges of the sorrow will wear out and that the joy of having good memories will remain. In the meantime, know there are people who share in your grief, even from a distance.

8:12 pm  
Blogger Pub said...

Thanks Serge, you may not think you can find the right words but you have. Thanks for taking the time and for leaving your thoughts. It really is appreciated

8:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home