Wednesday

Sprouting networks

One of the reasons for the resuscitaion of this blog was my recent visit to Sunderland for the Making the News conference. As I have mentioned I left inspired and having met some extremely dynamic and interesting people with whom I had the chance to discuss all manner of things from blogging to Brussels.

Philip Young (who runs the Communications, Cultural and Media Studies course at Sunderland and who hosted the conference) demonstrates the networking ethic that we heard about during the conference and also says some very nice things about this blog, 529 content (which is now up and running) and a certain stylish Belgian.

Ca sprout pour moi...

I remain convinced and even heard the second hand effects of my evangelising this morning. Spread the word.

1 Comments:

Blogger KaMeeL said...

Stylish? You have not yet run into me early in the morning, have you? Anyway: this networking theory seems to be working as far as I can see it. I notice that the blogs I have been visiting regularly, really do have networking power. On one condition, though: that there is some real content to be found (in the large sense of the word). That there is an exchange of more than moans and groans, than chit-chat and smalltalk. Not that this smalltalk is unimportant. On the contrary: it is the lubricant of much human interaction. And, moreover, we all are voyeurs to a certain extent - so, yes, the opportunity of being confronted with other people's private thoughts is alluring. But if the blogosphere were limited to just that, I fear that the 'conversation' would eventually grind to a halt ("Think conversation": I am hearing Tom Murphy here...). So should blogs have a useful, or even an economic purpose? I don't know yet. I hope not, actually - a common interest (even if it just in sprouts) might very well do the trick. On his blog, American author Seth Godin remarked that "the web is exposing lots of avenues for people to use to find satisfaction (but not necessarily cash). [...] Now that white-collar workers regularly spend 75 hours a week at work [...] there's plenty of time to surf the web and get paid for it." So, yes, this blogging phenomenon has more sides to the coin than meet the eye. Difficult to grasp all at once, though. Perhaps I should spend some working hours on solving this problem... ;-)

11:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home